Let's Celebrate..........You all are Incredible...
DIGGS-LATHAM ELEMENTARY EARNS "WHOLE SCHOOL GROWTH" STATUS!
As I told you all yesterday, I am proud of all of you for earning $500 incentive bonuses for those who worked full time. Of course, if you worked half time or less, your bonus will be pro-rated. This bonus is earned for teachers and staff who worked last year. All employees who are here now are working toward earning bonuses for next year which is the last year Star 3 will be in operation. I am sure we are even better than last year so let's keep trying and I know we will make it again! I put an information sheet in your boxes and you can also go to the Star 3 website under Departments to get more information about the framework of Star 3. Individual bonuses and grade level bonuses are also a possibility for teachers who have shown student growth. I would expect those letters to be delivered to me in the next week. If you are fortunate enough to earn Individual bonus, grade level bonus and whole school bonus, you could possibly earn $5000+. I am so excited for you. My husband asked me last night why I was smiling so much and I told him because I am blessed to have the most hard working, happy, dedicated and devoted to students, teachers in the whole county and we have fun! We take care of each other and cheer each other on. We have coaches and district personnel who support us and bend over backwards to give us resources we need. I thank you for the shared vision and for not giving up when times get tough. There is very little whining or gossiping and that shows true professionalism!!!!!! I feel that we are a "Family" and I hope you feel that way too. Remember, Dr. Frazier and I are always here if you need us:)
Diggs-Latham Art Displayed at Hanes Mall!!!
We were asked by the American Heart Association to put together an Art Display for a store window (upstairs by the carousel) in Hanes Mall. Mrs. Gordon and her students worked their magic and here is the result. I am not the best photographer so please excuse the glare. It is a beautiful display!
Retention Letters: I am forwarding you a great article I read on retention. I will forward it to you with Retention Information. Now is the time to make initial contact with any parents of children you are considering retention for. Remember you should have parents sign off that you talked to them about the POSSIBILITY of retention. You also need to be able to show that you put interventions in place to target the high needs areas. Keep work samples so that when it is time to make that difficult decision, we will have lots of evidence. Thank you:)
It is that time of year where we choose a first year teacher who shows "promise". I think all of our first year teachers show promise. They are all outstanding teachers. This is a difficult task and that is why I would like you to help me with it. We can only choose one to send on to the district level to be recognized as our school representative at the Spring STAY Banquet. Whomever we choose will have to answer some essay questions and I will as well. The STAY Banquet is usually in April. Our first year candidates eligible for a Promise Award are: Cymbre White, Caroline Bostian, Lisette Prato, Hafida Boutkhili, Megan Shoaf, Zenyth Thomas and Taylor Mathis. I think I remembered everyone. All will be recognized for completing the STAY program. I am proud of them all. I am going to put a ballot on Survey monkey and will send the link to you through email. As you reflect on what you know about these candidates, choose a candidate that has promise in the areas of student achievement, teacher leadership, motivation, great attitude, building relationships with students and families as well as the community. I realize this is difficult as you may not know all the candidates, but do your best. Talk with them if you wish:) to give you an idea of what they are all about. If you could complete this by MONDAY at 3:30, I would appreciate it. It should just take you a couple of minutes. The candidate with the most votes will be our representative. Only vote once please. The candidates can vote.
- Please keep Mr. Schorer in your prayers today as he is having a knee replacement. If you wanted to send a card, let us know and we will get the address for you.
- Please keep Miss Greenlee's family in your prayers as her dad lost his brother unexpectedly yesterday. Safe travels to her parents who went out of state to be with the family.
- Continue to keep Mrs. Gilliam in your prayers as she continues to recover.
- Please keep Mrs. Asbury's granddaughter in your prayers as she too continues to recover. This is the strongest little girl I know. She has truly been through a lot.
- Nurse Hall's son has been a little under the weather so keep him in your thoughts and prayers.
- Flynn, Mrs. Wolfe's grandson is doing well:) He is a cutie!!!!
- My happy, energetic, curious, sometimes naughty, puppy, Molly is keeping me busy!!!!
And she looks so innocent! Don't let that cute face fool you, she has the puppy "crazies" every night around 6:30. But, I sure do love her!
Mark your Calendars:
- Our SIT meeting for today will have to be rescheduled.
- 2/27-Black History Celebration/District Committee her to review our SIP/ACCESS team here as well/CC meeting off campus
- 3/3 Cannon to UNC Chapel Hill to present to MSA students on Community Engagement and Teacher Leadership
- 3/3 Tornado drill this week. Practice with your students please:)
- 3/7 Cannon to present with Principal Trish Gainey to the Explorers Program. Topic: Maintaining Strong Community Relationships
- 3/10 Faculty Meeting
- 3/11 Early Release Day
- 312-3/13 Conference on Teaching and Learning (Cannon and Teachers)
- 3/13 Newsletters due
- 3/19 Spring LEP Parent Night
- 3/19 Sarah Huddleston will be using Room 200 on the 19 and 20th 7-3:30
- 3/19 as of now 3rd grade EOQ rdg.
- 3/20 as of now 3rd grade EOQ math
- 3/23 Grade 4-5 Reading EOQ
- 3/24 Grade 4-5 Math EOQ
- 3/25 Science EOQ
- Science Program Manager Benika will use the Media Center for Training after school at 4:00
- 3/26 Spring Production 1:00 dress rehearsal/6:30 Parent Performance
- 3/27 End of 3rd quarter